If you live in Los Angeles and suddenly lose your job then, instead of worrying about being unemployed, you can simply book an appointment with the California EDD that instantly helps you with finding employment.
However, if this makes you wonder, what’s California EDD? Then, keep reading ahead as this post will explain everything about EDD including the primary functions and branches of the same.
With that said, let’s straightaway dive into the details—
What is the EDD?
EDD, also known as Employment Development Department, is one of the famous platforms in the United States that claimed to be the largest tax collecting agency in the State of California for performing the following prominent roles:
- Gathers, analyzes, and publishes information about the labor market.
- Administers the Unemployment Insurance (UI), State Disability Insurance (SDI) and federally-funded workforce development programs.
- Bridge the gap between job-seekers with employers.
- Audits and collects payroll taxes across California.
- Maintains employment records for millions of California workers.
To be precise, the Employment Development Department, or EDD for short, offers multiple services to millions of employers and employees under programs such as Unemployment Insurance (UI), State Disability Insurance (SDI), workforce investment (Jobs and Training), and Labor Market Information (LMI).
But, mainly because EDD has provided employment to millions of unemployed Californian citizens, it becomes famous in no time as a dedicated platform for unemployed people to get employment opportunities.
[Note: There’s a prerequisite to use this platform and i.e., you must be a US citizen or authorized to work in the US to be eligible for getting employment from EDD platform.]
What Are the Key Functions of EDD?
Albeit, there are many functions that EDD perform but, the following below-mentioned are the primary ones that you should definitely go through once before getting started with EDD—
- Assisting employers to fill required (labor) positions in their company.
- Helping unemployed residents to secure employment.
- Overseeing workplace investment programs for dislocated workers, adults, and youth.
- Making disadvantaged independent and self-sufficient by providing them assistance.
- Supporting state activities and benefit programs by collecting, auditing and overseeing employment taxes such as Employment Training Tax, and Personal Income Tax withholding.
- Overseeing unemployment, disability insurance and SDI programs for helping unemployed and disabled workers.
In addition to these functions, let us further tell you that, the California EDD is divided into 9 different branches, and you should also read a brief description of their assigned responsibilities to have enough understanding of the entire platform—
How Many Branches EDD Has?
|Administration Branch||It is the central branch of the EDD that provides support services, human resource services, and keeps a track of the annual budget of the department.|
|Tax Branch||This is one of the largest tax collection branches in the nation as it maintains tax records for an estimated 17 million people by collecting from them the unemployment tax, disability insurance tax, personal income tax, and employment training tax.|
|Information Technology Branch||It oversees one of the largest IT units in the State and besides that; it also provides data and technical support for the entire department.|
|Directorate Office Branch||This branch which consists of the Equal Employment Opportunity Office and Legal Office— provides support with legal issues facing the department and also takes into consideration things like discrimination complaints.|
|Unemployment Insurance Branch||This branch aims to provide unemployment opportunities and benefits to those individuals who have been unemployed due to inevitable circumstances but are willing and able to work if given a chance.|
|Disability Insurance Branch||This branch of EDD supervises state disability insurance programs and other than this, it provides disability compensation to those employees who miss out at work due to factors like illness, injury, or pregnancy.|
|Public Affairs Branch||In support of EDD Programs, this branch provides marketing, outreach and training. Apart from this, it also manages the social media handle of EDD.|
|Accountability, Policy and Compliance Branch||This branch is fundamentally responsible for auditing and checking all the programs offered through EDD. Not just that, it is the primary connection between state and federal government officials to provide information and guidelines on legal matters.|
|Workforce Services Branch||This EDD branch provides placement, employee referrals, employment workshops, and other services for being responsible to connect the deserving job-seekers with employers and they do so approximately one million times each year as of now.|
Having read all this, if you’re tempted enough to get yourself registered on the EDD website that contains a handful of tools for both employees and employers such as the followings that we’ve mentioned underneath then, you can refer to the very next section of it that pretty much clearly explains how you can register on EDD!
Useful Tools on EDD Website for both Employees and Employers
|Some of the things that employee can do from the EDD website:
||Some of the resources for employers that the EDD website offers:
How to Register on EDD?
In order to create an online EDD account, you need to follow this below-given guide —
- Step 1: Open your web browser on your respective device and go to this https://edd.ca.gov/ link.
- Step 2: On the official EDD website, look in the top-right corner and there, you’ll see the following two options—
- Benefits Login
- Employer Login
Now, based on whether you’re an employer or an employee, you have to execute the further process accordingly!
Employer Services Online Enrollment
If you are an employer, you can simply enroll/register yourself in “Employer Services Online” using the following steps to access eWOTC, SIDES E-Response, and e-services for Business.
- Step 1: Go to the Employer Services Online Web page.
- Step 2: There, select “Enroll in Employer Services Online” under ‘Enroll’ section.
- Step 3: In doing so, you’ll be taken to a new webpage and there, a ‘Registration form’ will appear in front of you.
- Step 4: Now, as the form appears, you’ve to fill the form completely with the following details to enroll for Employer Services Online—
- First Name
- Last Name
- Last 4 of SSN or Create a 4-digit PIN
- Email Address
[Note: After enrollment, you can anytime change your provided information *except your username* in the “My Profile” section.]
- Step 5: Upon entering the asked details tick the ‘I’m not a robot’ checkbox to complete the security check to proceed.
- Step 6: In the end, just hit the ‘Continue’ button and remember once you do so, do not click on your browser’s Back arrow.
Benefits Program Online Enrollment
On the contrary, if you’re an employee then, regardless of whether you right now have a job or not; you can enroll for “Benefit Programs Online” to access the Employment Development Department’s online benefit services like Unemployment or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance, Paid Family Leave, Disability and Benefit Overpayments, etc.
- Step 1: Go to EDD’s Benefits Program Online page.
- Step 2: There, in order to register for an account, click on the ‘Register Now’ link beside ‘Don’t have an account?’ option.
- Step 3: Then, you’ll be prompted to accept the EDD site’s Terms and Conditions. Once you agree to the listed terms and conditions, you can proceed ahead by clicking the ‘I Agree’ button.
- Step 4: As you do so, you’ll be taken to the registration page and there, in order to register for a new account, you’ll have to first provide your ‘Email Address’ (that you’ve access to).
- Step 5: After that, you just have to create a password for your account by entering your decided password in the ‘New Password’ text-field as well as in the ‘Confirm Password’ text-field.
- Step 6: Now, to continue registration, you also need to complete some security requirements by choosing a total of your ‘4 Security Questions’ and entering your answer to each of them.
- Step 7: In addition to the security setup, you’ve to choose your personal image and caption under the ‘Personal Image and Caption’ section to confirm that you’re on the EDD website and that it is safe to enter your password.
- Step 8: Next, you obviously need to complete the ‘Security Check’ to verify you’re not a robot and to finish the registration process.
However, wait, you are not done yet!
- Step 9: As you enter your email address, EDD will use that email address to send you a ‘Link’ to help you complete your registration within 48 hours of the email.
- Step 10: Now, when you click the link received in email by EDD, you’ll be taken to the EDD website where you’ll have to sign in to the EDD online system.
- Step 11: To do so, you simply require entering your ‘Email Address and Password’ that you’ve just created.
- Step 12: Once you’re done entering your login credentials, select the ‘Claimant Registration’ option.
- Step 13: At this point, you’ll be prompted to enter the following associated details of yours to complete your registration —
- Social Security Number,
- Driver License or Identification Card Number,
- Full Legal Name and
- Birth Date
In addition to these details, you’ll also need to provide your —
- Mailing Address,
- Preferred Language and
- Preferred way of communication.
Once you have entered all your information, you should get a notification that says “EDD Account Registration Complete” and it’ll also list your particular EDD Customer Account Number to get started.
So, if you get this notification then, it means you’ve successfully created your Benefits Programs Online account on EDD online platform for getting State Disability Insurance (SDI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) benefits, etc.
How to Log in to an EDD Account?
After you’ve registered on the EDD website, your next step would be to get access to your account that you’ve just created.
However, note that, which of the below login process you’ll have to perform is completely based on the “Employer Login” or “Benefits Login” option that you’ve enrolled for!
Employer Services Online Login
If you have enrolled in Employer Services Online then, follow these given steps to log into the service of your choice through Employer Services Online:
- Step 1: Using your web browser head towards https://edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/Employer_Services_Online.htm.
- Step 2: There, on the Employer Services Online page, look at the ‘Log In’ section and click on either of the following service to log in to the same—
- Step 3: Now, on the respective webpage of your selected service, put the cursor in the ‘Username text-field’ to enter your employer services online account’s Username.
- Step 4: Following that, enter your account Password in the available ‘Password text-field.’
- Step 5: Upon entering your username and password, click on the ‘Login’ button to finally get access to your respective Employer Services Online account.
Benefits Program Online Login
On the contrary, if you’ve enrolled in Benefits Program Online then, log in to your Benefit Programs Online account via these steps:
- Step 1: Using your web browser, open this https://edd.ca.gov/Benefit_Programs_Online.htm link.
- Step 2: On the same, you’ve to click on the ‘Log In or Register’ to go to the Benefit Programs Online login page.
- Step 3: There, on the Benefit Programs Online login page, enter your ‘Email Address’ in the desired text-field.
- Step 4: Then, tick the ‘I’m not a robot checkbox and complete the CAPTCHA verification as prompted.
- Step 5: Following that, hit the ‘Login’ button to reach onto the next page.
- Step 6: There, you have to verify your personal image and personal caption first and then, need to enter your account’s ‘Password’ in the password text-field followed by clicking the ‘Login’ button to finally get access to your Benefits Programs Online account.
EDD Account: Sign-In Difficulty
In case you are encountering trouble during your login attempt to access your “Employer Services Online” or “Benefits Programs Online” account on EDD Portal then, let us tell you that most of the sign-in issues occur due to entering of wrong login credentials.
So, considering that you either have forgotten your correct Username or Password, we’ve mentioned below how you can recover both of them to get rid of the encountered sign-in issue:
Recover Your Forgotten EDD Username
- Step 1: In case, you have forgotten your Employer Services Online username, you can simply go to the Employer Services Online login page and click on either of the links—log in to use e-Services for Business, log in to use eWOTC, or log into SIDES E-Response.
- Step 2: Then, simply select the “Forgot username?” option.
- Step 3: Following that, enter your “first name, last name, email address, and last four (4) digits of your Social Security number” in the required personal information.
- Step 4: Upon entering the details, you simply have to perform the required ‘Security Check.’
- Step 5: Once you’ve done that, ‘Answer the Security Questions’ that you filled out during registration.
- Step 6: As you finish doing so, you’ll receive an email from EDD with a ‘Link’ to confirm your email address. So, when you receive the email; open it, select the unique link that it contains and then, just follow the steps to retrieve your username.
Reset Your Forgotten EDD Password
- Step 1: To begin the process, go to the Employer Services Online login page and click on either of the three options—log in to use e-Services for Business, log in to use eWOTC, or log into SIDES E-Response.
- Step 2: Then, enter your account’s ‘Username/ Email Address’ in the desired text-field.
- Step 3: Following that, you have to select the “Forgot password?” option.
- Step 3: As you do so, you then need to enter your following information in the required personal information:
- Your First Name,
- Your Last Name,
- Your Email Address, and
- Your Last four (4) digits of your Social Security Number.
- Step 4: Upon entering these details, perform the required ‘Security Check’ for verification.
- Step 5: In continuation to that, you’ve to also ‘Answer the Security Questions’ that you selected during your registration.
- Step 6: After you finish doing so, you’ll receive a ‘Link’ via an email to confirm your email address. Now, when you receive it, you’ve to click on the same and follow the on-screen prompts to simply reset your account’s password.
[Note: The link you receive in an email from EDD will expire in 24 hours. So, if you do not respond in 24 hours, you’ll need to restart the whole recovery process.]
That’s all! Hope you now have a clear understanding of the entire EDD, short for ‘Employment Development Department’ platform including— how you can register on it, log in to get benefits of the services that it has to offer and also how you can get rid of any encountered sign-in difficulty. However, if you are still having difficulty with the EDD website, you can either ‘Ask EDD’ about the same or you can visit the EDD’s Technical Help for assistance.